Monday, October 6, 2008

My Favorite Time of Year

Fall is my favorite - the weather is mild and the nights are cool. The trees are starting to change colors. Here is a picture of my last crop of roses. The wonderful smell carried thru the whole main level of the house.



Well we had Isabella's "friend" birthday party this weekend at the Denver Children's Museum. She and 4 other girls played in the many exhibits. There was a full size firetruck with pint size fireman outfits and hats. There was a big tree house with tunnels and nests so that the kids could play as squirrels (Isabella) or rabbits or birds. I think this room was the favorite. There was also a grocery store and restaurant - an art center (See Samantha's work below) and a dress up and dance room. We will definitely have to go back. There was just too much to do in the time allotted.



There was also a workshop where kids could build things out of recycled wood and plastic. Isabella just liked wearing the goggles but Samantha and Bob really got into it and built a helicopter.














After the kids had some time to play, we all gathered back in the birthday room for pink cupcakes and presents. It was still quite a bit of work to bake non-artificial cupcakes (the only thing bad in them was a bit of sugar...), put together healthy munchies, goodie bags and decorations - then load everything up and get to the museum in time to set up in the 15 minutes they give you before the party starts. But the great things was at the end of the 2 hours we got to go home to a quiet house. At least for 30 minutes or so... Grand Bob stayed with the kids and Jeremy and I had to run out to a friends wedding reception. It was really nice but a sad in a way. The brides son has been battling Leukemia for a few months. They planned the wedding around it - but her son ending back in the hospital with a pretty serious infection so only the groom was present. Keep them in your thoughts - he isn't doing well at all. It still makes me cry a bit - I remember my frustration when cancer interrupted our life so many times the past year.


The week was a nice one - no commitments on any of the school nights. Just the normal routine - dinner and homework. Sam has missed some school, however. The pain in her leg is increasing. We are starting to see some redness up near the top of her incision now. I talked with Dr. Heare and he said it is not uncommon for the infection to spread thru the cadaver bone. This may rush Samantha's decision. We were hoping to make it to Christmas break and do the surgery then - but I will be surprised if that happens. She won't walk on her leg much and it hurts to wear her brace. She is determined to get back to school, missing even a few days puts her so far behind. Her dad returns from India this weekend and we will probably meet with the prosthetic doctor next week. Then once Samantha has made her decision to either fight to keep her foot or not we will meet with Dr. Heare and hammer out the rest of the details.


As I have said before - I don't have a preference, either choice will be a rough road. We are just committed to supporting Samantha's decision the best we can. She is leaning toward the amputation so she can just get on with life and I thought I was just fine with that until last Thursday - watching the infection spread and realizing the decision date was coming sooner than later. My stomach flips just thinking of her going thru another surgery. But I will follow her lead and be strong! :)


Jeremy's dad has to go home tomorrow - Isabella is sad. She has had a blast hanging out with grandpa and daddy so much. She just tags along - helping them with their projects in her skirt and fancy new jewelry. She is four now - next year she will start kindergarten - jeez!


Daniel is his same self only pushing the limits a bit more. If I live thru the next couple of years without drowning myself in wine - it will be amazing.


Samantha of course is strong and fighting to feel better - I think this time of year will help with that. We have Halloween and her birthday - then the holidays.


They are forecasting snow for Denver later in the week, so I will be picking all my veggies tomorrow and bringing my plants inside. Always stuff to do - but this time it is stuff I like to do!


I know this month is breast cancer awareness month which is great - but please think of our cancer kids every time you see the pink ribbon - maybe someday we can have a mini gold ribbon tagging along!


I hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather - Love to everyone!





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!