Saturday, January 31, 2009

What Lack of Sleep Can Will Do For You

Emotions go up and come down...

Last night was a rough night for Samantha. The nurses had to move her a lot and they were having trouble getting the pulses (equipment issues) - we were lucky to get 15 minutes of sleep at a time.

Then this morning around 8 am they turned off the epidural and started oral pain meds. Because of all the movement during the night, Sam used her pain button quite a bit. The pain doctors recommended a little bit of Valium to help keep her relaxed. It worked a bit too well.

This afternoon I tried to go home and check on Jeremy and I was going to pick up Isabella and bring her to the hospital with me. Just when I got home Chris called and said that Sam needed me back as soon as possible. Sam woke up disoriented and wouldn't let anyone touch her. So I jumped into the van and headed back to the hospital. Isabella went cross country skiing with the Waltons today and didn't get back in time for me to bring her with me. Jeremy assured me he was feeling well enough to take care of Izi.

I got back and Samantha calmed down a bit. She is feeling better, ate some dinner and guess what we are watching? Gilmore Girls - what a surprise!

It can be a bit hard when I really want to be in 2 places at once. Isabella was gone when I got home last night so I have not seen her in a couple of days and that is hard too. I know she is fine and had a blast hanging out with her friend Leah - but I am selfish. :)

Some really good news about one our our friends from here at the hospital - Taylor (her caring bridge site in over on the left) had her scans yesterday. Her tumors are shrinking!!! It brought tears to my eyes. Being back at the hospital and seeing the kids brings back memories and good news is always welcome.

I am going to finish tonight with a the news that Samantha is a star... There is a local radio station that does a radiothon every year to raise money for The Children's Hospital. They came to Samantha's teen cancer group to interview the kids and volunteers and put together a video that they have on their website. Here is the link: http://www.alice1059.com/pages/3743639.php. Take a look - Sam is so beautiful!

Night - Love to everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Well, we really need to find a way to clone you angel! I can't believe how much you can take. How is Sami handling the pain now? Any better.... Gilford Girls! My favorite show. Let me know how Jeremy is doing. Today was Gramma Hedderman's birthday and we all talked about my miracle daughter and granddaughter. If you have time, call tomorrow. I know how hard it is to help Sami manage the pain so don't worry if you can't call. My God Dawn, if you don't write a book after all this you are nuts! Great Journal entries.
    I love you all and miss you and if you need me to help Jeremy, just call and I'll be on the plane tomorrow. Hang in there Supermom!
    Love with all my heart,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!