Sunday, February 1, 2009

One of Those Days

















Pictures of Jeremy and Isabella today - Isabella is still in her jammies holding a someone else's glass and of course not looking at me as usual.

Every once in a while I have these days when I wish... The kind of wish where you get angry when you realize it isn't going to come true.
Sometimes they are big wishes - like Sam would never have had cancer or since she did that her surgery would have worked out the first time.

Sometimes I wish I would win the lottery and sometimes I just wish that I wouldn't have to chose between work and family at times.

Today I wished that I didn't have to chose between Jeremy and Isabella and Samantha...
I felt sorry for myself on the ride back to the hospital but by the time I got to Sam's room, I was back into my mom mode and not wasting time or energy wishing - just accepting the way it is right now.
Sam gave me the green light to go visit J and Izi for a couple of hours. Isabella must have missed me a little bit because she let me just hold her longer than just a sec - that hardly ever happens.
Jeremy and Isabella are over at a friends - Isabella is playing and Jeremy was helping Seth put together some sushi rolls for dinner. My visit with them was nice - I just sat back and watched them both. Jeremy's color is still good but he went in for an x-ray today and his lung still isn't completely inflated. He will need a couple more days to get back to normal. It is hard for him to just relax but he knows what he has to do.

Samantha is having a better day today. She is on oral pain meds now and soon will be able to get rid of her IV. She still has to lay flat but Dr. Heare said that tomorrow he will put her leg in a cast so she will be able to move easier. He told us the cast will have a window so we can watch the flap to make sure it stays healthy. She will be bedridden for the next 4 weeks, able to get up to go to the bathroom only. She has 2 more weeks of antibiotics and we are expecting the next surgery to be mid March. I thought we would be going home Monday or Tuesday but now they are saying Wednesday or Thursday. The doctors want to make sure Sam can move easily and learns her limits before leaving for home.

Right now we are watching the Superbowl, waiting for the cool commercials. I finally set up a facebook profile. Tommy with Samantha's cancer teen group went on and on about it and my friend Lindsey also told me I should - so I bit the bullet and did it. Now I just have to sit back and see if I can connect with any friends...

Samantha has promised to add me - so I will have at least one. :)

I guess I will end with a picture of Samantha's leg - the doctors are very proud - but a warning it is a bit graphic ...

The grid that you see is the skin graph and will eventually fill in - when everything is healed up it will look similar to a burn scar.
It will look a lot better than the earlier scars.
I hope I didn't freak anyone out - but I thought it was interesting.
I want to end by wishing my Grandma a happy birthday and I will try to call tomorrow.
Love to everyone!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Angel,
    I can tell things are rough right now.... too many loved ones to worry about. Sami's leg doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Glad Jeremy is doing better and know how hard it is for him to take it a little easy.... but tell him he has too or this could happen again. Give my love to all and tell Sami I'm throwing positive and strong vibes her way. I hope she can manage her pain soon so she can go home. If you'd like, I could come down for a week after she gets out if she'd let me help.... or you would. I promise not to lecture Jeremy any more than he lectures me!
    I love you and your entries. Hang in there... this week will wiz by.
    All my love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!