Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Caring Bridge entry - April 23rd 2008

Well I thought I was handling the upcoming scans just fine. I was trying not to obsess and worry before I heard any news - but all day yesterday my eczema acted up. I was itchy, itchy, itchy. I finally got everyone to bed and I layed there. No sleep for me until late (or early depending on how you look at it.) I was up at 6 am to get everything ready for a day at the hospital.
It wasn't so bad this time. I was able to get everything we needed into 1 bag. I woke Sam up with just enough time for her to get dressed. She didn't argue or moan. She said she was actually looking forward to seeing everyone. We made the stop at Starbucks and popped in 'Sam's Healing Tunes' and hit the highway.
We made it to the hospital at the time they told us - although the scan technician told us that we should have been told to be there 30 minutes earlier...
Anyway, Samantha was injected with the radioactive liquid that makes her bones glow. We have to wait 2 hours for it to travel thru her body. Samantha was then taken to get a couple x-rays so if there are any questionable sites the doctor can compare with the corresponding x-ray.
After Sam finished the bone scan we headed up to clinic for a weigh in - Sam is at a whopping 96 pounds - yahoo! Blood pressure and oxygen level were perfect. Dr. Ball met with us and we compared this scan with the one 6 weeks ago. I was surprised by the improvement. Dr. Heare said he wouldn't be surprised if there was no change; however, even though there was still a couple 'hot spots' the size was considerable smaller than last time. We could see where the bones are starting to grow and heal into the cadaver bones. All in all a very good doctor visit.
We then made a round and visited the nurses. We got to see beautiful Anna. Everyone complimented Samantha - she looks so beautiful and her hair is coming in like gangbusters.
We saw a couple familiar faces like Hope and Dax. Dax was a little under the weather but Hope was full of fire.
It was kind of bitter sweet. I love to see all our nurses and doctors but I was also reminded that so many other families are still battling cancer. I heard other mothers reminding their children of the chemo schedules and port draws - making sure the Emla was applied.
Memories of when we were sitting waiting for blood counts shot to the front of my mind too easily. We have been good - concentrating mainly on getting our family back to normal. But I have a feeling I won't forget the events of the past year. Shadows of those memories temper my attitudes and actions. Days like today remind me how grateful I am that Sam is feeling good and laughing (even if it is because she is picking on her sister).
The next round of scans will be a full blown day like our first back in May. Today's was a short day only a bone scan and x-rays. Next time will include the bone scan, x-rays, CT scan, heart test, hearing test, blood counts, etc. We have a tentative date of June 4th.
I know the postings to this site have slowed down - we are getting back to our busy normal life - but I hope everyone knows how much we love and appreciate you all. I am currently working on getting a family blog set up so we can continue to post about everyone - not just Samantha. :)
I want to give back the caring bridge resources to families that really need this wonderful service. I don't think we would have made it thru - I was going to say 'so easy' but it really wasn't easy... I think this past year would have been so much harder without the support of everyone who followed Samantha's journey and left such wonderful caring posts.
I will add the link to our family blog soon and then do a final sign off.
Thank you all again and again.
Love to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!