Monday, June 23, 2008

Camp time again

Saturday we spent doing just a bit of shopping so Sam could get ready camp. Apparently my toilet bag wasn't exactly what she wanted. Samantha and Isabella decided first thing in the morning that they wanted to make brownies. So we set off in search of brownie ingredients and a make up bag.
We were successful - Isabella went down for a rest reluctantly (as always) and Samantha relaxed a bit.
There was a Relay for Life (cancer fundraiser) for the city of Parker. This year they agreed to feature Gold Ribbon Families (my mom's support group). Apparently the National Cancer Society wants to highlight GRF nationally so we decided to go show our support. Samantha got a special 'survivor' purple T-shirt and did the first lap. It was probably only a quarter of a mile but I was so proud of her!
We saw some familiar faces like Hope and Brando as well as meeting a new face. Her name is Mallory. Mallory is battling Leukemia and I believe has 1 year left. She is only a year younger than Sam so they hung out for most of the night.

Aren't they cute in their purple shirts! Brando was super cute as well - I think he did the lap in 2 minutes. He just took off and I have a feeling he doesn't stop for too long. :)

We stayed for a few hours and then headed back up north - Parker is a suburb of Denver - but while we are north west, Parker is South east. The night was beautiful so it worked out.

Once home - Samantha and Isabella made their brownies and Sam finished packing. I had to make a late night run to get some candy for Sam's plane ride - so very important!
We got to bed around 11 or so and I set my alarm for 3:45am. Yep that is right - we had to be at the airport by 4:30am.

We arrived right on time to a bunch of smiling faces. The kids were so excited. Sam went to camp with Allison, Kennedy, Jimmy, Kyle, Abby and a couple other new faces.
Here they all are with their counselors - Tonia and Jane. Samantha was a bit nervous. This was the first time she has flown alone. She did fantastic - Allison and Sam are close in age and I think with get along wonderfully. Sam is the oldest of the group...
I got a phone call from her when they landed in NC and she told me that she did indeed beep going thru security and had to get patted down in a special room - even with a doctors note.
But they made it and even though she sounded a bit tired - she also sounded excited. I know they will have a blast but I miss her already. She will be flying back in on Thursday. This is a great experience for all these kids. They get a chance to feel independent again after such a hard journey.
After I dropped Sam at the airport - I was able to catch a couple more hours of sleep. Then I took advantage of Jeremy being home and went for a bike ride. I did about 20 miles in and hour and a half. I felt good and strong. I kind of winged my route - if there was any type of hill - I took it. I didn't find anything like I will see during the Courage Classic - but I keep telling myself every little bit helps. After my ride - I treated myself to a massage - so nice.
We topped off the day by hanging out listening to some free Jazz down in Denver's City park with some friends. We had a picnic and drank some wine and watched the kids play.
Jeremy and I laughed today as we told each other our 'to do' lists - they are never ending. The week is already planned out and it is only Monday.
I am going to sign off now with a special request. Please keep another child in your prayers. Our friend Thomas Buck was placed in hospice today. He had some aches and pains and his MRI showed that his tumor came back. The doctors have done all they can. His mother is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Every time we crossed paths - she always was smiling and always asked about Sam. She cried happy tears when we saw her on our way out from our last chemo treatment. They have fought so hard for so long... They have a care page - carepage.com and the page name is ThomasBuck.
Good night - Love to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!