Saturday, July 26, 2008

Courage Classic Day One



The course ride was 58.10 miles and I personally did 50 miles. Daniel woke up bright and early with us (6 am) and dropped us up in Leadville. There were 2 mountain passes and "Battle Mountain". The picture to the left was our route. The bottom graph is the elevation. The first pass was not easy but not too hard. Battle Mountain was super steep(the pimple on the elevation map) but only a couple miles long. But the last pass did me in. We ate lunch in Vail and from there to the top of the pass was 18 or 19 miles. I decided to save the last 8 miles of the climb for next year. There have vans called 'sag wagons' that come pick up and shuttle you to the next aid station. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't carry on but it would have taken me too long. I really wanted to do all the ride for Samantha - but my fitness level just wasn't there. The good news is that Jeremy, AJ and Gina all did the full ride for her.

Tomorrows ride is a relatively easy one - there is a bike path from Copper Mountain Ski resort all the way to Breckenridge (these are Colorado Ski towns). It will be a beautiful ride thru the trees. The mountain wildflowers are beautiful. I need to find my camera - I forgot it today. It is somewhere in the condo we are staying in but we have 7 people staying in a 2 bedroom place. So things are everywhere. :)

I am ready to hit the sack - so I will sign off for tonight. As you can see - Jeremy is already out. :)
Love to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Layer/Gray Family

My photo
Layer/Gray family includes Jeremy, Dawn, Isabella, Daniel and Samantha. We are active, opinionated and fun loving!